Candidates with relevant professional or educational qualifications may apply for exemptions for a maximum of three subjects. Exemptions are only available to registered students of the Institute each academic year, e.g. between August and May each year.
The PDF files show the current list of qualifications by region, matched to exemptions. Alongside each qualification are the subjects which can be exempted.
The exemption fee for 2017/18 is £160 GBP per subject.
Evidence of qualifications in the form of a certificate will be required to support any application. Exemptions are only granted towards the PQE qualification and not towards the Foundation and Advanced Diplomas.
The following subjects can be exempted
- Introduction to Shipping
It is possible to obtain an exemption from Introduction to Shipping if you have worked in the shipping industry for 2 years, or for 1 year if you have also passed the Institute's Understanding Shipping course. A letter of evidence from your employer will be required.
- Legal Principles in Shipping Business*
Cannot be combined with an exemption for Shipping Law
- Economics of Sea Transport and International Trade
- Port and Terminal Management*
- Logistics and Multi-modal Transport*
- Marine Insurance
- Shipping Law
Cannot be combined with an exemption for Legal Principles in Shipping Business
- Shipping Finance
*these exemptions will no longer be available from the 2017/8 academic year.
Exemptions are overseen by the Institute's Education and Training Committee (ETC). If you have a maritime qualification that is not listed on this page, the ETC will assess the qualification provided it meets the following criteria:
- the course must be maritime related and equivalent to the Institutes Professional Qualifying Examinations (minimum standard of a lower second class (or equivalent) UK degree)
- the qualification can be no older than seven years
- you must be able to provide an official course certificate and transcript in English or a certified English translation
- the course must be examined in English
Please email to make a request.
The Institute's ETC meet at the end of each academic year and if your qualification qualifies for exemptions these will be added to the lists ready for our next registration period starting in August 2017.